The Rev. Charles Keith Sink ’49

The Rev. Charles Keith Sink ’49, chaplain (Col.) retired U.S. Army, died June 15 at Blue Ridge Healthcare Center in Raleigh, N.C. He was born Apr. 1, 1928, in Davidson County to the late Charles Edgar and Myrtis Sink. He was also preceded in death by his sister, Margaret Sink. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Maxine Baker Sink, 4301 Boxwood Rd., Raleigh, N.C. 27612; a son, Michael Keith Sink (Judy) of Dallas, Tex.; and four grandchildren, Brian, Eric, and Megan of Charlotte and Jack of Dallas, Tex. Chaplain Sink attended Lexington Schools and graduated from Davidson College with a B.S. in psychology and was commissioned as Second Lt. in the ROTC Program. He was deferred for three years to attend Lancaster Seminary in Lancaster, Pa., and was transferred from the Infantry Division to the chaplaincy. After being stationed at Fort Stewart, Ga., he was sent to Korea as chaplain to the Fifth Regimental Combat Team. He returned to the states in 1955 and was stationed at Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, D.C., and Maryland. He pastored Emanuel Reform Church in Thomasville, N.C., before returning to serve his country. In 1961 he was sent to Vietnam, and while serving overseas, he was awarded the Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medals, two Commendation Medals, Occupation Award for service in Berlin and National Defense Medal, Korea Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Award, Vietnam Service Medal, United Nations Medal, Vietnam Gallantry Award, two Reserve Officers Awards and Korea Presidential Citation. He was selected to attend chaplain school in Brooklyn, N.Y. and the American Institute of Family Relations in Los Angeles, Calif. After retirement, he served as interim pastor at Community United Church of Christ in Raleigh and New Hope United Church of Christ in Louisburg. After his interim service he worked with Veterans Group and became adjutant for the American Legion until he retired in 1988. He had a great love for people and veterans and stayed active until he became disabled in February 2005.