Rev. Jerry Glenn Robinson entered the Church Triumphant July 15, 2019.
Born in Lincolnton, N.C., on Dec. 17, 1935, he was the only child of Jesse Ramseur Robinson and Buna Keener Robinson. They lived in Charlotte until their return “home” to Lincolnton in 1940. The house purchased in 1942 on North Cedar Street remained in the family until 2011. He entered Davidson College in August 1953 as part of the class of 1957. At the end of his junior year, he wed Judith Gail Chandler, of Lincolnton. During his senior year he served as chaplain of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity and worked in the college library.
After graduation from Davidson, he was admitted to Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Ga., He graduated in 1960 with a Masters in Divinity and moved to Edgefield, S.C., to serve as pastor of Edgefield Presbyterian Church. He also assumed pastorates of two additional Edgefield County Presbyterian churches in Johnston and Trenton, serving from 1964-66.
While in Edgefield, he was named “Outstanding Citizen of the Decade” by the mayor and town council, and was also named “Man of the Year” by the local Jaycees. He served as scoutmaster of local Boy Scout Troop 30 for five years and as a Cub Scout pack leader. As a member of the Carolina Council of BSA, he was named “Scoutmaster of the Year” in 1965 and 1966.
Through the years he was active in other community organizations, which included Jaycees, American Red Cross and the Rotary Club. As part of his ministerial duties, he twice served as moderator of Congaree Presbytery and once as moderator of Bethel Presbytery.
He had a love of the outdoors and was an avid hunter, fisherman and gardener. As an amateur woodworker, he refinished antiques and produced furniture, which family and loved ones still cherish. He had a deep love of history and an extensive knowledge of antiques. He and his wife, Judy, took great pleasure in finding “treasures” through the years, which helped create a warm and loving home wherever they lived.
In 1966, he accepted the pastorate of First Presbyterian Church in Clover, S.C., where he served until 1973. He then served as associate pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Aiken, S.C., until 1977. He accepted the pastorate of Brevard-Davidson River Presbyterian Church in Brevard, and served until 1984.
Upon joining the new denomination of Evangelical Presbyterian, he served as pastor of Clover Christian Fellowship until 1989, when he accepted the pastorate of Community Bible Church in Highlands, N.C.
In 1993, he and his wife returned to the family home in Lincolnton. Semi-retired, he served as interim pastor of Cleveland Presbyterian Church in Abingdon, Va. for five years.
In 1998, he accepted the full-time pastorate of Linwood Presbyterian Church in West Gastonia, N.C. and served there until his retirement in 2011. They then returned to Brevard to be closer to two of their sons and their families.
He is survived by Judith, his wife of 63 years; three sons, Jerry “Rob” (Lisa) Robinson, of Brevard, Tim (Anna) Robinson, of Brevard and David (Melissa) Robinson, of Pineville, N.C .; seven grandchildren, Amanda (Ricky) Lambert, Christopher (Haesook) Robinson, Nathan (Megan) Robinson, Jesse (Rachel) Robinson, Olivia (Dale) Shuler and Anna and Lily Robinson; six great-grandchildren, Easton Lambert, Jerin Robinson, Gracie, Cayden and Logan Robinson and Hunter Shuler.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be made to Four Seasons Hospice of Hendersonville, 215 N. Main St., Hendersonville, NC 28792, or to Kingsbridge House, 10 Sugarloaf Road, Brevard, NC 28712.