Sidney Ely Daffin, MD, 91, died at home on Friday, December 6, 2013. He was born the youngest of six children in Sao Sebastiao do Parisaio, Brazil on January 14, 1922 to the Reverend Robert Dale (Jr.) and Roberta Hall Daffin who were serving the Lord as missionaries in that country.
Sidney attended school in Ripley, Mississippi and was graduated from McCallie Preparatory School in Chattanooga, Tennessee in 1937. He continued his studies at Davidson College in Davidson, NC (’42) where his fondest memories were of playing baseball for the Wildcats! Deciding to further his education in the field of medicine he was admitted to the University of Tennessee, College of Medicine in Memphis, TN. He served in the US Army Medical Corps from 1942-49 with his last assignment being in Sendai, Japan.
After his discharge from the Army, Dr. Daffin accepted a position in the OB-GYN Residency Program at Tampa General Hospital in Tampa, Florida. In 1950 he came to Panama City to open his practice in Family Medicine. Over the next 25 years he dedicated himself to serving his patients and the community. After closing his practice downtown he worked in the General Medical Clinic at Tyndall Air Force Base for 10 years. He finished his medical career as Director of Washington County Public Health.
Sidney is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Sara Solomon Daffin; his children Diana “Cissy” Senechal (Peter), Niceville, Fla.; Robert (Robbie) Dale Daffin, IV (Mary Kathryn), Panama City, FL; Suki Daffin (Bill Dobbs), Tallahassee, Fla.; his grandchildren Major James Senechal, MD (Kathryne), Las Vegas, Nev.; Capt. Sara Senechal Walker (Scott), Homestead, Fla.; Marisa Dale Garrison, Jasper, Ala.; his great granddaughters Mckenna and Scarlett Garrison, Jasper, Ala.; and a host of nieces, nephews and cousins. He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and three sisters.
Dr. Daffin was an active member of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church where he served as an Elder, a Sunday school teacher and in many other capacities. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be made to the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Building Fund, 3007 W. 14th St., Panama City, FL. 32401.