William Hudson Borthwick ’40, of Rocky Hill, Conn., died June 14. He was born in Rochester, N.Y., the son of Harry and Martha Hudson Borthwick. He attended Davidson and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. During World War II, he was first an architectural inspector for the U.S. Army Engineers at the Naval Air Base at Pitcairn Field, outside of Philadelphia. Then, he was in the Army Air Force Engineers for four years, three years of which were spent in the European Theater of Operations doing construction work at Air Force bases in England, France, Austria, and Germany. Borthwick worked summers during his high school and college years in architectural offices, and after graduation from college and the end of the war, he worked in several architectural offices in the Greater Hartford area. He had his own office and then worked for the State of Connecticut Department of Public Works for 24 years, 13 of which were as assistant chief of the architectural section and 10 years as chief. Borthwick was formerly a registered architect in Connecticut and Massachusetts and a member of the American Institute of Architects, the Connecticut Society of Architects, the Hartford Society of Architects, the Construction Specifications Institute, the Kiwanis Club, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He retired in 1995. He married his wife, Frances Nichols Borthwick, of Hartford, in 1943. Mrs. Borthwick passed away in 2001. He has a son, Bruce Nichols Borthwick, 50 Cold Spring Rd., Apt. 327, Rocky Hill, CT 06067; and lived in Rocky Hill, at the Lodge at Cold Spring Retirement Residence.