John T. Welch, Jr. ’32 of Charleston, S.C. died August 19, 2006. Following his graduation from Davidson, he worked in Columbia, S.C. until August 1942, when he joined the Army Air Force. He spent time in England during the war prior to returning to Columbia in 1946. He joined the First National Bank of South Carolina. In 1948, he came to Charleston to set up the office. He met Julie Pringle within a few weeks of arriving and they were married in September 1948. They settled in her family home at 29 Legare Street where they lived until she died in 1993. He was on the School Board for District 20, and was later chairman of the State Board of Education. He was awarded an honorary degree from the Citadel. He was very involved in the life of St. Philip’s Church where he continued to attend. He served several times on the vestry and as the senior warden. Survivors include three daughters, Pam and Gil Wilkes of East Haven, Conn.; Ann Welch, 1406 Glencoe Dr., Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 29464; and Julie Acker of Mt. Pleasant, S.C.; and special caretaker, Margaret Brightman of Charleston, S.C. He has four grandchildren, Gil Wilkes, of Victoria, Canada, Julia O’Connell of Pittsburg, Pa., Sarah and Lee Acker of Mt. Pleasant, S.C., and two great grandchildren. He stayed close to his family in North Carolina and is survived by his brother, Bill Welch of Charlotte, N.C., his nieces, nephews, and many cousins in Mt. Holly, N.C. He is also survived by his second wife, Elizabeth Welch of Spartanburg, S.C.