The Rev. Dr. George M. Walker ’53 of Meherrin, Va., died March 17, 2006. He earned his master of divinity degree at Princeton and doctor of ministry from Austin Theological Seminary. He began his career in 1956 by serving as chaplain to the workers for Peter Kiewit & Co. while Thule Air Force Base was being built in Greenland. He served churches in Austin and Albany, Texas, Casper Wyo., Tacoma, Wash., and Bethlehem and Douglas Presbyterian Churches in the Abilene-Throckmorton, area from 1993 to 1997. After retirement, he continued to serve as stated supply for Drakes Branch Presbyterian Church, Herman PC in Saxe, Cumberland PC, Wyllesburg and Chase City churches. He served on various key committees of Presbytery while at Texas, Wyoming, and Washington He also served on the board for three Presbyterian Retirement Homes in Washington and was president of the board upon his retirement. He founded an organization in 1991 named Shared Housing Services in Tacoma, Wash., and was pleased to see it become a success over the past fifteen years. His survivors include his wife of thirty-four years, Ruth F. Walker, 2260 New Bethel Rd., Meherrin, Va., 23954-2810; a son George W. “Bill” Walker (Sandra); three daughters, Kathy A. Walker (Mike Braught), Vicki R. Walker (Matt Pollock), and Kerri E. Walker; and grandchildren, George and Alexis Walker, Hannah Elizabeth and Sarah Grace Braught.
Garland E. Still ’53 of Kings Mountain, N.C. died Oct. 2, 2005. He was retired from the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Gaston County, where he was a soil conservationist. He was also a farmer. He attended Davidson College and was a graduate of North Carolina State University. He was a member of St. Matthews Lutheran Church and the Kings Mountain Rotary Club. He retired from the U.S. Air Force as a major. Survivors include his wife, Betty Braswell Still, 208 N Gaston St., Kings Mountain, N.C. 28086; son, Garland Everett Still, III of Kings Mountain, N.C.; daughter, Grace Spurrier of Gastonia, N.C.; brother, Dr. John Still ’56 of Kings Mountain, N.C.; sister, Grace Christine Still of Nellysford, Va.; and three grandchildren, Alexandria, Kaitlyn, and Emma.
John “Peter” Walton Ormsby ’53 of Seattle, Wash., died August 9, 2005. Following graduation from Davidson, he earned his M.D. from Columbia University. He and his wife Ann moved to Seattle in 1957 for his medical internship and residency. From 1959 to 1961 he was a medical officer in the U.S. Army. After returning to Seattle, he became a research fellow in endocrinology at the University of Washington Medical School, then chief resident in medicine at University Hospital. He practiced internal medicine and endocrinology with the Polyclinic until retiring in 1996. In his retirement he attended classes at the University of Washington, including history, astronomy, meteorology, and Islam religion. He served on the board of the Pilchuck Glass School and enjoyed theater, opera, and ballroom dancing. He is survived by his wife of fifty years, Ann S. Ormsby, 14025 3rd Ave. NW, Seattle, Wash. 98177; daughters, Abigail E. Ormsby and Sarah A. Ormsby, M.D., and her husband, Robert Frey; granddaughters, Callie and Isabel Frey; and niece and nephew, Laura Verdi and John Verdi ’82.
Vernon D. Clifton ’53, of Knoxville, Tenn., passed away Sept. 2, 2004.
Regnald Maxwell, Jr. ’53, of Augusta, Ga., entered into rest on Nov. 24, 2001. Regnald, a native of Augusta, was the son of the late Dr. Regnald and Lollie Johnson Maxwell. He attended Davidson and entered the U.S. Air Force. Upon completing his military duty, Regnald received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Georgia where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon social fraternity. He was a 1959 graduate of the University of Georgia School of Law and a member Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity. Regnald was in private practice in Augusta for many years and a member of Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church where he was a deacon. In the mid-1960s he was elected to serve in the Georgia Legislature and was the first Republican to preside over the Georgia House since reconstruction. He was a board member of the Augusta Free School and was an avid deep-sea fisherman. Regnald is survived by his wife, Lorraine Elder Maxwell, 3256 Summerchase Cir., Augusta, GA 30909-4151; son, Regnald Maxwell III; daughter, Elder Maxwell; and one sister, Anna Maxwell Waller.