Harold Russell Murdock, Jr. ’43

Harold Russell Murdock, Jr. ’43 of Chapel Hill, N.C., died on July 9, 2005. He held research and consultant positions at Johnson & Johnson, the Food and Drug Administration, and Burroughs Wellcome. He received a master’s in physiology from the University of Rochester, and a doctorate in pharmacology from the University of Buffalo. He served three years during World War II. Survivors include his wife, Miriam Russell Murdock of 700 Carolina Meadows, Apt. 106, Chapel Hill, N.C. 27517; two sons, Frederick Russell Murdock of Silver Spring, Md., and David Harold Murdock of Raleigh; a daughter, Sara Jane Hart of Bolivia; and two grandchildren.

Richard W. Hevener, Jr. ’43

Richard W. Hevener, Jr. ’43 of Harrisonburg, Va., died December 24, 2003. He served in a number of engineering design and management positions during a highly successful career with General Electric. He was made a member of General Electric Aircraft Engines Propulsion Hall of Fame in 1987. He served three years as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of lieutenant. He graduated from V.P.I. with a B.S. in aero engineering in 1948. He was a member of the American Aeronautics and Astronautics. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Wimer Hevener, 1491 Virginia Ave., Apt. 211, Harrisonburg, Va. 22802; and two daughters Carolyn and Sharon.

Charles Byers Nye ’43

Charles Byers Nye was born in Darlington, SC, the youngest son of Howard and Pauline Ashworth Nye of Lumberton, NC. After completing his early childhood education in the public schools of Lumberton, Charles attended The Citadel in Charleston, SC. He received an appointment in 1941 to the United States Military Academy from Congressman Baird Clark of the 7th North Carolina Congressional District. On 1 Jul 1941, Charlie joined the Class of ’45, which, due to WWII, later became the Class of ’44.

A classmate wrote in the ’44 Howitzer. “Chuck has the essential attributes of a fighting soldier. He has all the daring, the drive, and the fighting instinct necessary to make him a dangerous adversary on any battlefield. Although at times he had difficulty with academics, he demonstrated an inherent stick-to-it-ness and ambition that will carry him through any obstacles he may later meet. To wish him luck would be redundant, because he will not require luck to succeed.”

As a member of Company B-2, Charlie participated in wrestling, swimming, and weightlifting. He also served as a hop manager, was a member of the camera club, and was a rifle sharpshooter.

On 6 Jun 1944, 2LT Nye was commissioned in the infantry. After graduation leave he completed the course at the Tank Destroyer School and joined the 89th Tank Destroyer Battalion, which went to Europe at the end of 1944. He served in continuous combat for more than 100 days and received the Bronze Star for Valor and the Purple Heart. He was a unit commander in two campaigns. Upon his return to Ft. Knox, he married Mary Over. He was subsequently assigned to Army Field Forces Board Number Two and received the Army Commendation Ribbon for his work on Task Force Williwaw in Alaska during 1946-47. He then returned to Europe, where he served under General Lucius Clay, who named him the outstanding company commander in his service.

In 1948 CPT Nye resigned his commission. A son, Michael Dominic Nye, was born to Mary and Charles the following year, shortly before his marriage to Mary ended. Charlie subsequently declined acceptance to Harvard Law School, electing instead to earn a law degree from the University of North Carolina. In 1951 he married Mary Jane Love of Charlotte, NC. He graduated from UNC in 1952 and began practicing law that same year in his hometown of Lumberton, NC, where he was additionally affiliated with his father in the Nye Oil Company. During this time, he joined the U.S. Army Reserves, eventually retiring as a major.

In 1955 the Nyes moved to Durham, NC, where Charlie could limit his practice primarily to the legal problems of construction and engineering clients. He served as general counsel to several large contracting companies with interests in the eastern United States, Central America, Africa, and the Middle East. In February 1964 he organized a law firm, Nye, Winders, and Mitchell, although much of his work continued to be out of the country. In legal circles he became distinguished for his intrepid advocacy for his clients, drawing on many of the same qualities that had made him effective in the Army. His defense of a case was always realistic, strategically well planned, fearless, and presented energetically.

Meanwhile, in 1957, Mary Jane had entered the Duke University School of Medicine and completed medical training, specializing in pediatrics. In 1962, during her residency training, a son, Charles Howard Nye, was born. A daughter, Rosemary Love Nye, was born in 1974.

Charles retired from his legal practice in 1993. He had earlier been instrumental in the founding of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Durham and served as a charter member, trustee, and elder in that church. He was also a friend of Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, VA. His principal hobbies were hunting, fishing, and reading.

A sister, Mataline Nye Council Odom, and brother, William Howard Nye, predeceased Charlie. He is survived by his wife, Mary Jane Love Nye; daughter Rosemary Love Nye; sons Michael Dominic Nye and Charles Howard Nye; as well as three grandchildren. Liza, Eleanor, and James Nye.

Copyright 2014, westpointaog.org

Columbus C. Moorhead ’43

Marine dive bomber pilot in South Pacific in WWII
BLACKSBURG – Columbus C. Moorhead, 82, of 302 Holly Grove Rd., died Saturday, June 21, 2003, at his home.
A lifelong resident of Blacksburg, he attended Blacksburg High School and Davidson College, where he played football and was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

Mr. Moorhead was an elder in the Association Reformed Presbyterian Church, where he taught an adult Sunday School class for many years and later a senior high Sunday School class. He was a veteran of World War II, having served in the South Pacific as a Marine dive bomber pilot. He remained in the Reserves and was attached to a Marine squadron based in Atlanta. He retired as a major.

Mr. Moorhead farmed in Cherokee County and in Gaston County, N.C. He was a board member of the Farm Bureau for many years and was elected for several terms as a commissioner of the Cherokee Soil and Water Conservation District, where he was a commissioner emeritus at the time of his death.
Mr. Moorhead was a member of the South Carolina Pork Board and a South Carolina delegate to the National Pork Board for several terms.

Surviving are his wife, Margaret; two sons, Robert C. Moorhead of Gaffney and Richard D. “Dickie” Moorhead of Blacksburg; a sister, Margaret Moorhead McNutt of Columbus, Miss.; and six grandchildren.

Mr. Moorhead was preceded in death by a daughter, Carol Moorhead Wilkins.
Services were held Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, conducted by the Rev. David Rowe. Burial was in Mountain View Cemetery. The family will receive friends tonight from 6-8 at Holly Grove Catering.

Pallbearers were Bryan Henderson, Kenneth Henderson, Joe Ross, Bud Killian, Henry Moorhead, Clint Wilkins, Patrick Moorhead and Richard Moorhead.
Memorials may be made to Interim Hospice, 775 Spartan Blvd., Suite 101, Spartanburg, S.C. 29301; or to A.R. Presbyterian Church, 108 S. Chester St., Blacksburg, S.C. 29702.
Arrangements by White Columns-Blacksburg.

John Sherrill ’43

Dec. 23, 1922- Feb. 24, 2002

Radiologist. He graduated from Wake Forest College and subsequently Bowman Gray School of Medicine in 1946. He went to the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond for his pathology internship and in 1948, returned to Baptist Hospital for a three- year residency in radiology. After completion of his residency, he volunteered for service in the Navy during the Korean War and was stationed at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Bremerton, Wash. from 1951 to 1953.

In 1953, he moved to Durham to practice radiology at Watts Hospital. After the death of Dr. Paul Perry, he became director of the department of radiology. At times he served as chief of medical staff of Watts Hospital and also chief of the Watts Hospital Symposium. He was one of the founders of Durham Radiology Associates, which was formed in 1970. For many years, he was assistant professor of radiology at Duke and clinical associate professor of radiology at the University of N.C. Medical School. He was a fellow of the American College of Radiology, past president of Eastern Radiological Society, and former president of the N.C. Chapter of the American College of Radiology.

In 1975, he spent six months on the radiology staff of the Brompton Hospital in London and a week as visiting professor at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh, Scotland. In 1986, he retired from practice at Durham Regional Hospital and Durham Radiology Associates. He was one of the founding members of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church. He was a former member and golfer at the Hope Valley Country Club and enjoyed many weekends with his family at Kerr Lake.