Palmer Morgan Kirkpatrick, Sr. ’34 of Florence, S.C., died November 18, 2006, at the Presbyterian Home of South Carolina in Florence. In 1951, he graduated from George Peabody College for Teachers with a master of arts degree in elementary education. He taught in the public schools of Durham, N.C., and Laurel Hill, N.C., and was an administrator in the South Carolina schools of Leesville, Walterboro, Great Falls, Hartsville, Sumter, Brookland-Cayce and Belton-Honea Path. He served a year as president of the S.C. Association of Elementary School Principals and a year as president of the S.C. Association for Supervisors and Curriculum Development. He served in the U.S. Army Air Force for three years in the United States and Europe during World War II as a meteorologist. He attained the rank of first lieutenant and later served for two years as an officer of the S.C. National Guard. He was a member and Sunday school teacher of First Presbyterian Church in Florence. He served as elder in several Presbyterian churches in South Carolina during a period of forty years. He was a member of the Florence Golden K Kiwanis Club and a life member of the National Education Association. Survivors include his wife, Edna Fishburne Kirkpatrick, 2350 W. Lucas St., Unit 18, Florence, S.C. 29501-1236; four sons, Julian P. Kirkpatrick of Manassas, Va., Palmer M. Kirkpatrick Jr. ’66 of Florence, Hugh G. Kirkpatrick of Greenville and Alan F. Kirkpatrick of Westminster, Md.; a daughter, Mrs. Jill Kirkpatrick (Bob) Bailey of Greenwood; two brothers, J. Mills Kirkpatrick of Black Mountain, N.C., and the Rev. C.E. Kirkpatrick of High Point, N.C.; a sister, Mrs. D.W. (Helen) Middleton of Laurinburg, N.C.; and twelve grandchildren.
Rankin M. “Happyrock” Gladstone ’34 of Greensboro, N.C., died peacefully March 28, 2006, at his home. He was a member of the Avant Garde of Davidson College, a former member of the High Point Rotary Club, and organizing/charter member and elder of Forest Hills Presbyterian Church in High Point. After retirement from Northwestern Mutual Life, he worked for the Guilford County Tax Department in property re-evaluation; he was known as one of the best senior golfers in Guilford County. Among his proudest accomplishments in mortgage loan and real estate investment deals was the building of the Granville Towers Complex in Chapel Hill. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Margaret Murchison Gladstone and his son, Kent Gladstone. Survivors include his wife, Katherine Anderson Russell Gladstone, 3504 Flint St., Apt. B106, Greensboro, N.C. 27405-3273; daughter Ms. Lynn G. Parker of Charlottesville, Va.; stepdaughter Rebecca R. Albright of Summerfield; stepson Stephen Russell of Charlotte; two grandchildren four step grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Memorials may be made to the First Presbyterian Church, Pastors Discretionary Fund, 611 N. Elm St., Greensboro, N.C. 27401; Buffalo Presbyterian Church, Missions Fund, 803 16th St., Greensboro, N.C. 27405; Davidson College, 102 N Main St., Davidson, N.C. 28036; Alamance Presbyterian Church Cemetery Fund, 4000 Presbyterian Rd., Greensboro, N.C. 27406; or to Hospice and Palliative Care of Greensboro, 2600 Summit Ave, Greensboro, N.C. 27405.
Samuel Middleton Hines ’34 of Alexandria, Va., died March 11, 2006. Survivors include two sons, Samuel M. Hines, Jr. ’68, 2457 Sylvan Shores Dr., Charleston, S.C. 29414, and John C. Hines ’74, 3309 Alabama Ave., Alexandria, Va. 22305; and a granddaughter, Catherine Hines-McCormick ’94, 1894 Julian Dr., Charleston, S.C. 29407.
Hugh A. Wilson ’34 of Lakeland, Fla., died February 19, 2006. After graduation from Davidson he began working with his father at Wilson Funeral Home which later became Biggs Funeral Home. He also worked at Wilson National Life Insurance with his father which later became Gulf Life Insurance. He owned Wilson, Inc., a real estate business where he worked for half days until his death. He was president of Wilson Springs, Inc., a 480-acre development on the Santa Fe River. He was a member of the National Guard and served in World War II. He earned several military honors, including the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star. He was active in the community. He belonged to the Lake City Chamber of Commerce for more than fifty-five years and was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Rotary International of Lake City, and Masons. Survivors include his wife, Rose-Marie Gabler Wilson, 743 SW Lake Montgomery Ave., Lake City, Fla. 32025; sons, Lt. Col. (Ret.) Hugh A. Wilson II, Jacksonville, Fla., and Dr. James W. Wilson ’66 of Houston, Texas; four step-children; six grandchildren; twelve great grandchildren; and eight step grandchildren.
John Harris Morrison ’34 of Concord, N.C,, died January 5, 2006. After Davidson, he returned to Concord to join his father’s business, E.L. Morrison Lumber Company. Upon his father’s death, John and his brother Ed ’25 took over the business, which became a driving force of his life. He retired from the lumber yard in 1989 but continued as a daily advisor to the company. In 1943 he was inducted into the U.S. Army and he served for two years in Britain and France. He received his discharge in 1945 and returned to Concord and his family. John was known for his business acumen and was well respected by the local community. Fairness, honesty and respect for each person were values he taught by example. He was a life-long member of First Presbyterian Church where he served as deacon and elder. He also served on the board of Cabarrus County Savings and Loan. Survivors include his wife of sixty-four years, Helen Holt Morrison, 260 Eastover Cir SE, Concord, N.C. 28025; their children John Morrison, Jr., Hugh Morrison, and Margaret Morrison Hamilton; eight grandchildren: Holt Morrison ’95, Knox Morrison, Margaret Morrison, Hunter Morrison, Helen Collins and Jeff Hamilton ’05, Harris Morrison, Caroline Hamilton and two great grandchildren.